Saturday, August 22

Polkupyörä ostettu

My new bike that I will take better pictures of some other day!
The warehouse was dark and filled with all sorts of bikes
The worker assembling my bike inside the warehouse 

Kotimme lähistöltä löytyi paikka, joka myy polkupyöriä halvalla, joten kävimme sieltä ostamassa pyörän. Olin jo pitkään ajatellut hankkivani pyörän, joten matkat kuntosalille tai kauppaan sujuisivat nopeammin. Tämän lisäksi saksalainen ystävä on jo alusta asti sanonut, että hanki nyt pyörä, sillä hän ja hänen miehensä polkevat kaikkialle, ja se on hänestä niin kätevää. Pyöräily on tuntunut melko vaaralliselta Kiinassa, sillä liikenne on sen verran sekavaa. Monella kadulla on erilliset kaistat pyörille ja mopoille, mutta ihmiset ja autot sattuvat tulemaan eteen miten sattuu..

Pyöräkauppa sijaitsi isossa varastossa. Paikka itse asiassa myy tehtaalta tuotuja pyöriä kaupoille, joten hinnat ovat normaaleja kauppoja alhaisemmat. Mielessä oli värikäs pyörä, jota kukaan ei toivottavasti varasta. Olisin halunnut sinisen ja pinkin, mutta se väri löytyi ainoastaan kalliimmasta mallista. Halvemmalla mallilla oli myös paljon värivaihtoehtoja, ja yritin katsoa ne läpi pimeässä varastossa. Pyörät olivat lisäksi vielä paketeissa ja muovissa, joka vaikeutti valinnan tekoa.  Valittuani värin, työntekijä kasasi pyörän minulle. Pyörän kasaaminen ei kauan kestänyt, ja sain hallin sisällä koeajaa pyörä, ennen kuin pistimme sen auton takakonttiin ja vietiin kotiin. Väriksi tuli valittua turkoosi ja liila, ja pyörä maksoi 45 euroa. Pyörä ei paina paljon mitään, joten tähän saakka olemme aina sen viidenteen kerrokseen kantaneet. Taobaosta tuli vielä tilattua vähän lisä-osia, kuten kello, etu- ja takavalo, kypärä ja lukko.

                                                                                                                                                                    

Some while ago I was thinking about buying a moped, but instead we bought a car, so there was no need for me to get one. But in most cases, I do not need to go by car to some nearby place such as the store or to the gym, so we decided to get me a bicycle. My German friend has tried to get me to buy a bicycle from the very beginning, but I think it is quite unsafe to use bicycle in China. The traffic is horrible, to say the least, and the roads aren’t always in the best condition. On the other hand most roads have separate street for bicycles and moped, but people might walk there and cars usually park on these streets, so it doesn’t make it any better from the rest of the roads.

We found a place nearby our home that sells bicycles and mopeds to shops. The place was a warehouse filled with bicycles still in packages and plastic, and the bicycles had to be assembled. I needed to decide on which color I wanted. I would have wanted a blue and pink one, but this color was only found on a more expensive model. I ended up choosing a turquoise and lilac bike. A man assembled the bike in just a couple of minutes and then I could test drive it inside the warehouse. Unfortunately he didn’t make the screws tight enough, so CC had to return there and get the screws tightened later on.


The bike doesn’t have a hand brake, so it means that I brake by pedaling backwards. I think it is quite simple compared to the usual hand brake. All kinds of extra things such as a bell, lock and lights were missing. I ordered these from Taobao, and including a helmet, the price was just about 160rmb. The bike itself cost 300rmb, after we had haggled it down from 350rmb. Quite cheap if you compare to the bike that the German bought for 600rmb. After receiving and installing a panda bell, back and front light and a lock that doesn’t seem to keep any thieves away, my bike was ready for a test drive. On Monday we drove around our nearby streets. The bike is so light, weighing just some kilos, that I am able to carry it up to our fifth floor apartment.