Sunday, September 14

Ruokaa laidasta laitaan

Traditional noodles with some chicken in a soup
One of my favorites; fried rice with some sausage and vegetables and some side dishes
Salmon salad from the western restaurant Wagas
Fried rice dish at the western restaurant at school
A dessert sold together with this cup in one of the many baker shops
Bacon and rice dish that I ate in the school canteen a lot
Sometimes I took the take away dish with me, and this time I enjoyed the food at campus
I was told there is no hotdogs in China, this is the evidence that he was wrong
The traditional way to share dishes with lots of people with a disk in the middle you could spin
Even though I went to China, I still enjoyed a lot of pizzas
Pizza Hut didn't just have pizzas, but other dedicates as well  
Salad isn't part of the Chinese kitchen, so I had go to western places to get some

Shanghaissa ollessani tuli paljon erilaisia ruoka-annoksia kokeiltua. Ajattelin tässä näyttää kuvia ja samalla näyttää miten paljon erilaisia ruokia, ja miten paljon muut maat ovat vaikuttaneet siihen, mitä ruokaa kaupungin ravintoloista löytyy. Kiinalaista ruoka söin useimmiten koulun lähistöllä, kadulta tai ruokalasta. Paistettu riisi oli suosikkini, ja söin sitä eri lisukkeiden kanssa usein. Ruokakadulla minulla oli selvät suosikki paikat ja ns. turvaruokaa, jonka tiesin aina olevan hyvää. Menin siis useasti samoihin paikkoihin missä olin jo aikaisemmin hyvää ruokaa saanut, vaikka usein yritin käydä uusissa paikoissa. Alussa tilasin pitsaa kadun ravintolasta, mutta loppupuolella en sieltä enää mitään tilannut, vaan kävin toisesta paikkaa hakemassa pihvipurilaisen. Minulla oli suosikki paikka mistä hain aina friteerattuja ruokia tikuilla. Näissäkin yritin kokeilla uusia tikkuja, mutta enimmäkseen päädyin aina samoihin. Lähistöllä oli myös länsimaalaisia ravintoloita, kun Bao Long ostoskeskus oli avattu. Sieltä löytyi mm. Pizza Hut, KFC ja italialainen paikka, jossa kävin joka viikko.

Muuten kävin länsimaalaisissa ravintoloissa enimmäkseen ollessani keskustassa, sillä sieltä harvemmin löytyi halpaa ja hyvää paikallista ruokaa. Länsimaalaisia paikkoja oli kaikkialla, suurin osa amerikkalaisia pizza tai hampurilaispaikkoja tai sitten ranskalaisia. Länsimaalainen ruoka oli kylläkin kalliimpaa, mutta välillä ei jaksanut syödä vain kiinalaista. Muutin loppupuolella Chuansha alueelle, josta löytyi paljon ketjuravintoloita ja esim. McDonalds. Koulussa käydessäni hain usein ruokaa mukaani huoneeseen, mutta joskus kävin myös isomman porukan kanssa ulkona syömässä. Usein tuli käytyä illalla syömässä ulkona pystytettyihin telttoihin. Teltan ulkopuolella kokki valmisti ruoan, mutta usein meidän pöytään tuli niin ihmeellisen näköisiä annoksia, että paljon ei tullut syötyä. Ei ruoassa usein ollut mitään vikaa, vaan tapa, jolla niitä syötiin, oli niin erikoinen, että monesti jätin väliin simpukat, josta mehut imettiin, ja kalat ja lihat, jossa oli vielä luun palasia. Pitää vielä mainita, että kaikkihan sylkivät luunpalaset ja sen sellaiset suoraan pöydälle, tai maahan, ollessamme ulkona.

                             ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

I have tried lots of different kinds of food during my time in Shanghai, so I decided to do a post about some of the food that I tried there.  This post will showcase how much variety can be found in a city with a long history with western countries such as France. Most of the time, I ate Chinese food that I bought from the street vendors or from the canteen at school. When I visited the city I usually went for western food, since I never found really cheap local food in the center. Western food in Caolu, where I stayed for the longest period of time, was limited to only a few places such as Pizza Hut and an Italian restaurant I visited almost every week. Pizza could also be bought from one of the locals at the food street and it was brought to the hotel I stayed in for no extra charges. Even though I got stuck and only ate some dishes I knew were good for a while, I still managed to try new things when eating with a bigger group or with somebody who ordered for me.

Most days when I ate alone I brought the food with me to my room. Lots of people want take-away, so it was easy and convenient. On the food street I had one place with deep fired, one with spaghetti, one with hamburgers, one with rice dishes and one with noodles. I tried other places a couple of times, but never had the urge to go back to them like I did with the places named above. When the Bao Long shopping mall was opened I had more western food places nearby such as KFC and Pizza Hut. In the end when I moved to Chuansha for a while, I had a McDonalds and other Western restaurants nearby.

Sometimes I met up with friends and went out to eat to one of the many tents that are brought up in the evening when people get home from work. You tell the chef what you want and the food is prepared outside on a grill. Most of the time they ordered some weird stuff such as some kind of mussels, meat and fish with bones and other things I didn’t dare eating. On the other hand I went some occasions where other people paid the bill, which meant I could try lots of dishes I wouldn’t try on my own. In the evening a lot of places set up tables and chairs on the pavement and grilled or cooked the food on sight. In these places I ate mostly chicken and mushrooms when grilled or cabbage and broccoli when cooked. One of the weirdest dishes I liked the most was corn with sugar made into a kind of pancake with sweet mayonnaise on it.