Sunday, September 28

Kiinan outo ruokakulttuuri

Tried some of these, but chicken feet and pigs noses aren't something I would buy myself
Stall selling fruit, a place I visited often
Some of the night food vendors near campus that only opened in the evening 
Some late night BBQ
Weird selection of fresh seafood at Carrefour 
Turtles were a delicacy I never tried  
This is what a normal supermarket looks like in Shanghai
Street vendor making rice or noodle dishes that visited often
Crabs were another delicacy I missed out
Grilled chicken sold on the street
Some restaurants kept their fish outside on the street in buckets

Kiinalainen ruoka on outoa, mutta ei aina huonolla tavalla. Ruoka kiinassa ei ole samanlaista kun mitä se länsimaalaisista kiina-ravintoloista löytää. Kiinalaisten tapa ruokaillakin on niin oma-alueensa, että kirjoitan siitä ehkä joskus toiste. Ehkä oudoimmat ruoat, joita tiedän itse, mitä ne olivat, oli ankan kurkkua ja nivel-pala. Vaikka se ei miltään namilta näyttänyt, se ei myöskään ollut pahaa, vaan ainoastaan vaikeaa syödä, kun lihaa oli niin vähän ja luuta niin paljon. Kalaakin myytiin monessa paikkaa, mutta välttelin sitä paljon, sillä esim. kalanpäätä ei pois heitetä ja luita on niin vaikea erotella. Toisaalla söin Xianin kaupungissa todella hyvää kalaa. Kyllä sitten lopulta osasin jo syömäpuikoilla ne luut poistaa. Moni kysy, tuliko koiraa tai käärmettä kokeiltua, ja vastaus on ei. Käärmettä ei ollut tarjolla siellä missä kävin, ja koiraa taas en halunnutkaan kokeilla. Omasta mielestäni koiraa olisi löytänyt koulun lähellä olevasta ravintolalasta, mutta monet kiinalaiset kiistivät tämän, kysyessäni, jos sitä löytyy Shanghaista.

Ruokakaupat olivat melko samoja, kuin mitä muista maista löytyy, mutta valikoima oli erilainen. Ruoka-öljyä löytyi satoja ja riisiä pystyi ostamaan kiloittain. Kala ja liha osastot kiersin, sillä haju oli niin paha, mutta olisi ollut jännä mennä katsomaan mitä outoja kaloja sieltä löytyy. Esim. kilpikonnat ovat suurta herkkua kiinassa. Hedelmät ostin katu-kaupoista, sillä supermarkettien hinnat olivat kalliimpia. Valikoima oli laaja ja sain kokeiltua paljon uusia hedelmiä.


                             ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Food in China is weird, but not always in a bad way. It isn’t anything like the Chinese food you get in restaurants in Western countries. The behavior of Chinese people during dinner is completely another chapter that I might take up in another blog post, so let’s get back to the food. Some of the weirder things I tried out were a throat piece and a knee part of a duck. It wasn’t disgusting, even though it didn’t look like something I wanted to try, but on the other hand it was just meat, that was hard to eat, as there was mostly just bone. Most fish were prepared whole so the head and bones weren’t removed. Even though this bothered me a lot I still had some of the best fish in the city of Xian. Most people ask if I tried snake or dog, but no, there wasn’t any chance to try those kinds of things. I’m pretty sure that they sold dog meat in one of the places, but most people I asked told me no dog could be found in the nearby district. Dogs are pets for most people, to make it clear to some people :)

Food stores and supermarkets were the same is many other countries, but only the selection varied. There whole aisles with only cooking oil and rice could be bought by kilo. The meat and fish selection where parts of the store that I tried not to enter as the smell was bad, but they had some weird stuff there that I should have gone exploring and seeing what it was. Most of the time I bought my fruit from the street shops as the fruit in supermarkets was expensive. My boyfriend used to buy me fruit and I got to try lots of new ones I don’t even know the name of.