Monday, November 28

Tailored for Me





I had planned that on the first week in Shanghai, I would go and make some clothes at Lujiabang tailor market. This didn’t happen, however, until this rainy weekend. I went first the jeans tailor that I know from before, but the seller that I used to talk to wasn’t there. Regardless, I still managed to keep the price down as it normally is, even though he tried to say that it is more expensive since the fabric is better.. I ended up making three pair of pants; black, rose and beige. I had two pairs of jeans that I wanted to copy, since I like having things made out of my own clothes. That way I can be more certain that the style will fit me.

Next I looked for a place to copy my Zara jersey dress. The dress in itself was never expensive, but the style is great. Here again I ended up making two copies of the dress at an older Chinese ladies jersey store. She asked me first how much I have paid for the dress before saying how much I should pay for the copies. The copies and the real one ended up costing about the same amount, meaning some 150rmb. The lady told me not to tell my friends about the price, as she was not willing to make more jersey dresses for a price this low. I seem to be quite lucky with the prices, since this time I didn’t even start by haggling the price down, instead she gave me the exact price I was willing to pay. She told me dresses would be ready in ten days, which is quite long, as they usually make simple clothes in seven days. I said eight days, she said ok and wanted me to come in the afternoon. It will be interesting picking up the dresses, as I have no idea how well this place makes their clothes.



Heti alussa, kun tulin Shanghaihin, oli tarkoitus mennä teettämään vaatteita. Se jostain syystä jäi tekemättä, kunnes nyt sateisena viikonloppuna lähdimme autolla keskustaan. Menin ensiksi tutulle farkku-räätälille, mutta myyjänä ei tällä kertaa ollut sama kuin aikaisempina kertoina. Tästä huolimatta sain hinnan pidettyä samana, vaikka myyjä yrittikin nostaa hintaa sanomalla, että valitsin hyvän kankaan. Nyt sitä odotellaan kolmea farkkua: Mustat, roosat ja beiget. Malleina oli kaksi omaa housuani, sillä siten takaa, että malli istuu.

Toiseksi halusin kopioida Zaran trikoo mekon. Mekko jo itessään ei maksanut paljoa, mutta malli on sen verran hyvä, että pakko sellainenkin kahtena kappaleena teettää. Trikoo-kaupassa en ole aikaisemmin käynyt, joten lopputuloksesta ei ole hajuakaan. Myyjänä oli vanhempi kiinalainen rouva, joka uteli mitä olin mekosta alun perin maksanut, ennen kun hän halusi antaa minulle hinnan. Eiköhän aito ja kopiot aika samanhintaisia tule olemaan, eli vähän yli parikymmentä euroa. Myyjä korosti vielä lopussa, että älä kerro tätä hintaa kavereilleni, sillä hän ei jatkossa aio tehdä näin halvalla hinnalla mekkoja. No kävipäs minulla sitten hyvä tuuri. Tässä liikkeessä oli kuulema ruuhka, joten hän yritti, että tulisin vasta kymmenen päivän päästä hakemaan. Normaalisti kaikki ei niin erikoiset vaatteet ovat viikon kuluessa valmiita. Sain hänet suostumaan kahdeksaan päivään, jos tulen vasta iltapäivällä ne noutamassa. Tekisi mieli teettää vaikka mitä vaatteita, mutta kun en tiedä miten hyvän tuotteen saa, jos valitsee mallin vain kuvien perusteella. Siksi käynkin mielummin lähiseudun kaupat läpi, jossa heti kokeillessa tietää, toimiiko vaate vai ei.