Wednesday, November 23

No Break from Bread



I was told that bread is bad for me and I was supposed to try to live without it in China. However, me being without bread lasted for one and a half day and then I had to give into it. Not the carving of the bread, but for the simplicity. I have over the years taught my Chinese parents-in-law that western people eat bread, and of course they buy bread for me to have for breakfast. Also, when there is no other food that I fancy to eat as a snack outside, I will go for some bread. The bread has either gotten better since last time I was in China, or then I’ve just gotten used to the somewhat sweet taste. Getting rid of white flour would be even more impossible, as almost all staple food, except for rice, is made of it in China.




Sain tietää, että minun pitäisi jättää leipä kokonaan pois. Ajattelin, että voisin kokeilla Kiinassa olla ilman leipää. Tämä "tauko" kesti vain puolitoista päivää, ja sitten sorruin. En siihen, että leipä olisi mahdottoman hyvää, vaan siihen, että sitä on niin helppo syödä. Muutenkin, kiinalaiset appivanhemmat ovat tottuneet siihen, että syön leipää, joten he olivat jo valmiiksi ostaneet minulle paljon paahtoleipää aamupalaksi. Pakkohan sitä loppujen lopuksi on syödä, ja kiinassa on muutenkin niin helppo ostaa leipää näistä leipomoista, joita löytyy yllättävän paljon kaikkialta. Olen itsekin huomannut, että leipä ei maistu niin pahalle tai oudolle, kun se ennen maistui, mutta tämä voi johtua siitä, että olen tottunut heidän makeahkoon leipään tai ehkä he ovat viimeinkin saaneet käsiinsä eurooppalaiset ohjeet.