Tuesday, December 6

Avoiding the Kitchen




Almost nothing has changed since I’ve last been in Shanghai, except for the fact that I haven’t bought any food that I have to cook by myself. This means that I haven’t visited Metro, City shop and other ridiculously expensive foreign food stores. I do have some pesto and other import products in the cupboard, but I’m quite sure they will be left untouched. I even brought a 1kg cheese from Finland that I haven’t opened. In the past cheese was used in so many dishes that I started bringing cheese from Finland instead of buying it here from a store, but now there hasn’t been any pizza or other cheesy dishes.

Why I haven’t made any food is because of two reasons. One is that it is easy to eat outside or then our uncle makes the food. The second is that I dislike the kitchen quite a lot. In the past making dinner was quite a headache. The kitchen is not really that dirty, but from a western viewpoint it is somewhat disgusting. This is because the family might leave uncooked meat like chicken on the table, or have fish that are still alive in the sink. I’m also afraid of the gas stove, since it is unstable and unreliable. On top of this we don’t have any hot or even warm water, except for in the shower, that I could use to wash the dishes with. This means that I feel that most cups and plates and all other kitchen ware isn’t as clean as I would like it to be. This and some more reasons make me avoid the kitchen for now.



Koen, että mikään ei oikeastaan ole muuttunut elämässäni, kun se asia, että en ole laittanut kertaakaan ruokaa Shanghaissa ollessani. Hyvä puoli on se, että samalla ei ole tarvinnut käydä super kalliissa ulkomaisissa ruokakaupoissa. Olin valmistunut tekemään ruokaa Kiinassa, joten toin Suomesta juustoa ja leipomistarvikkeita, mutta niihin en ole koskenutkaan. Ennen vanhaan minulla kului sen verran paljon juustoa tehdessäni ruokaa, että oli pakko tuoda Suomesta kun Kiinan hinnat ovat sen verran korkeat.


Syy, miksi en ole laittanut ruokaa, taita olla ensinnäkin se, että täällä on helppoa ja halpaa syödä ulkona. Jos ulkona ei jaksa käydä, niin kotona on melkein joka päivä isäpuolen tekemää ruokaa. Toiseksi syyksi voisi syyttää keittiötä. Aina kuin laitoin ruokaa, hermostuin jostain. Oli se sitten siisteyden puute, ongelmat hellan kanssa tai sitten piiloon laitetut tarvikkeet tai roskiin heitetyt tuotteet. Hygieniasta täällä ei taida olla mitään tietoa, sillä raakaa kanaa voi pistää suoraan keittiön pöydälle ja eläviä kaloja pitää tiskialtaassa. Lisäksi meillä ei ole ollenkaan kuumaa vettä, oikeastaan voisin sanoa, että hanasta tulee vain kylmää vettä vuoden ajasta riippumatta, ja tämän takia tiskiä ei aina saa niin puhtaaksi kun itse haluisi. Tästä, ja monesta muista syistä olen siis vältellyt keittiötä, jossa nyt on ainoastaan tullut käytyä hakemassa juomavettä.