Sunday, December 11

Approved beauty treatments

I read a SmartShanghai article about where locals go for beauty treatments. I decided to try two from the article: facial and haircut. Both are now tested and approved. I have to say that both of them were quite an experience; something I haven’t tried anywhere else before. The facial was in a beauty salon somewhere near Lujiabang Lu and the hair salon was near Huaihai Lu, so quite a lot of traveling for me to get these kinds of treatments. The reason I wanted to try the facial was the price: 128rmb for one hour. The haircut, on the other hand, was more planned, since I needed to get a cut before leaving China. The reason why choose this one, was because in the article they correctly wrote that “none of the employees are young and hip, with the trendy haircuts or their hair dyed strange colors that you see around town. But here's the thing: For that reason, we can guess that they don’t even have the capability to majorly fuck up your hair”. I have a lot of experience of cheap hair salons, where the outcome is not really what I have expected. Once the cut was uneven and once they made it so straight that it didn’t suit me at all…

But now to the facial experience; once I walked into the beauty salon, I was given slippers and led into a room, where another Chinese woman was getting some cupping treatment. I’m not sure if they speak any English, as I was only getting the treatment in Chinese, which to be clear can be tricky at points, when they ask questions about some things I have never heard about. First I got a really long scalp massage, where some sort of hard, woodish comb was used, but I’m not sure, since I never actually saw the object used. After this my face was cleansed so many times that I  lost count. I got some face massage and a mask was applied in the end. In addition, I got some neck and shoulder massage. In the end I also got my eyebrows shaped. This experience was even weirder. Instead of just tweezing, my eyebrows were formed by shaving. I have to say I was surprised how well it worked. This seems to be the most painless method, but having someone using a blade right next to your eyes is a bit scary as well. The shaping was done in just five minutes, but the whole sessions ended up taking more than one and a half hour.


Now to the hair salon experience: From outside the hair salon doesn’t look like much. I actually walked past it on my way there. When I got inside, a man and woman, smartly dressed in black and white looked up and wondered what I wanted or if I surely was lost. Almost all of the employees, most in their late 30s, looked like they work in a nicer hotel rather than a hair salon. When I said I wanted a haircut, they got up and I was told to pay first. I paid 68rmb and  got a ticket. With my ticket I was told to first go to the washing section. Before getting a wash, I got a nice head, neck and shoulder massage. After this I didn’t even need to get up, instead they started washing my hair in the seat. A woman got a bottle, filled it with water and shampoo, and started pouring while slowly shampooing the whole hair without getting any water on me. After this she washed my hair in a sink, just like normal hair salons do, and continued with some lotions for quite some time. With a towel wrapped around my head, I walked upstairs where a man in his forties was free. Overall I believe there were maybe five people working the washing and massage section and some twenty people doing haircuts. I had a picture on my phone of a layered haircut that I wanted and the man looked at it for a long time before starting. This was probably the most professionally made haircut I have got in China, and I have been to at least five different hairdressers. After the cut, the hair was blow-dried and the outcome was good. So good, that I actually would go back there in the future. All of this only cost 60 rmb and most of the other Chinese customers walking out had good haircuts. 



Luin artikkelin, jossa kerrottiin, missä paikalliset käyvät kauneushoidoissa. Artikkelista valitsin kaksi paikkaa, jonne halusin mennä. Ensimmäinen oli hoitola, jossa tehtiin kasvohoitoja alle 20 euron hintaan ja toinen oli kampaamo, jota suositeltiin, sillä he eivät tule pilaamaan hiuksiasi. Tässäkin hinta oli vain 10 euroa, joten siitä sitten kokeilemaan! Molemmat olivat uusia, ja samalla melko kiinalaisia kokemuksia. Kasvojen hoidossa en ole ollut aikaisemmin, joten en tiennyt mitä odottaa, mutta kampaamo-käyntien jälkeen olen melkein aina ollut vähintään hiukan pettynyt tulokseen. Aikaisemmin tukkani on leikattu siihen malliin, että hyvä jos kehtasi pitää hiukset auki moneen kuukauteen.

Kasvojenhoito hoitola sijaitsi lähellä paikkaa, jossa teetin vaatteeni. Paikka oli sen verran piilossa, takapihasisäänkäynnin kuudennessa kerroksessa, että kukaan ulkomaalainen ei kyllä sinä vahingossakaan eksy. Kun tulin sisään, vastassa taisi olla viisi työntekijää, jotka kaikki hermostuneesti tervehtivät. Selitettyä, että haluan kasvojenhoidon, sain tossut jalkaan ja minut vietiin huoneeseen, jossa kiinalainen nainen sai kupitushoitoa par aikaa. Verhot vedettiin eteen ja menin makuulle. Päälleni vedettiin peitto, joten aloin jo heti alkuun hikoilemaan. Minulta kyllä kysyttiin, jos oli liian kuuma, mutta ajattelin jo, että viereinen nainen alkaa palelee, mikäli ilmasto pistetään kylmemmäksi. Onneksi hetken kuluttua oli jo mukavampi olo, kun hiuspohja oli hierottu jollain kovalla, ehkä puisella kammalla. Kasvot pestiin niin monta kertaa, että ei itsekään pysynyt perässä. Vähän hierontaa, sekä kasvoille että niska-hartiaseudulle, ja loppuun viilentävä naamio. Lopputuloksena oli niin puhdas iho, että nyt ihmettelen, minkälaisen likakerroksen alla olen elämäni elänyt. Kaupanpäälle sain kulmakarvat muotoiltua partaveitsiterällä. Kivutonta ja nopeaa, ja tässäkin todella hyvä lopputulos. Kaikki tämä kesti vähän yli puolitoista tuntia, vaikka minulle sanottiin, että kestää vain tunnin.

Hiusleikkuu tapahtui keskustassa, paikassa, jonka ohi ehdin kävellä, sillä sisään ei oikein näe. Sisään astuttuani vastassa oli musta-valkoisiin vaatteisiin somistetut noin 30-40-v työntekijät. Etenkin miehet kauluspaidoissa ja liiveissä olisivat sopineet paremmin hotellin respaan kuin kampaamoon. Ensin maksoin, jonka jälkeen sain lipukkeen, jota näyttämällä sain alakerrassa niska-, hartia ja hiuspohjahieronnan. Tämän jälkeen hiukset pestiin sillä tavalla, etten tarvinnut edes nousta tuolista, vaan sampoo kaadettiin suoraan kuiviin hiuksiin veden kera. Kun hiukset oli tällä tavalla saatu pestyä, siirryin pesupisteeseen, jossa ainakin kolmesti jotain muita aineita lisättiin hiuksiin. Hiusten ympäri kietaistiin pyyhe, ja siirryin yläkertaan, jossa vapaana oleva mies otti minut leikattavaksi. Minulla oli mukana kuva kerros-leikkauksesta, jota hän jonkin aikaa tutki ennen kun aloitti. Mies leikkasi yllättävän hyvin, paremmin kuin kukaan muu tähän saakka, ja lopputulokseen olen hyvin tyytyväinen. Loppuun mies kuivasi ja föönasi hiukset huolellisesti. Tämän jälkeen enpä mihinkään lähinaapuriston kampaamoihin enää lähde.